After finally acknowledging that the PDA has probably had its glory day and the smartphone has taken its place, we have resurrected, revisited, renewed and relaunched fortySomething as the smartphone app Herbst Fragmente. It is now available as an Android and iPhone app that gives you access to over a hundred interview segments and original sound material about projects in public space that took place in Graz as part of steirischer herbst since its inception in 1967.
You don’t have to be in Graz to experience the project – you can navigate the map by hand, clicking on the pointers to hear the interviews and sliding the bar up to read more informaiton or see pictures, finding links for further information.
The long-awaited Soul Lines app, which will enable you to find out when you and your soul will be reunited, should you ever have to travel faster than walking and where it currently is, will hopefully follow soon.
Herbst Fragmente can be downloaded to your smartphone for free. It was commissioned by sterischer herbst and programmed by Peter Vasil and Sebastian Deßler. Interviews and research Anna-Katharina Laggner and planb. Text editing Stefan Schwar
On Thursday 9th July, Sophia will be at the Kunsthalle in Weissensee from 5:30pm to take part in the artists’ talk in association with the group exhibition Ausweitung der Lehrzone, where she has a new video piece called The Matter Betweeen You and Me.
At 7pm that same evening (Thursday 9th July), Soph will be joining Dan to participate in the art/science SLAM at the ZKU – Zentrum für Kunst und Urbanistik Siemensstrasse 27, 10551 Berlin organised by Satellite Salon and Picture Berlin. There are 12 other artists taking part in what promises to be an interesting line-up. Admission 3 / 5 EUR which includes food.
On Saturday 11th July at 4pm and Sunday 12th July at 3:30pm, we will be in Leipzig leading our audio tour The Monday Walks as part of B_TOURS Leipzig. The Monday Walks was first shown in 2010 as part of play!_Leipzig. See www.b-tour.org for tickets
Sophia will be presenting a new video installation called ‘The Matter Between Me and You’ that she made with our daughter Ruby.
It is part of the group exhibition ‘Ausweitung der Lernzone’ at the Kunsthalle am Hamburger Platz, Weissensee, Berlin from 18 June – 19 July http://kunsthalle.kunsthochschule-berlin.de/
The exhibition opens at 6pm on Thursday 18 June and on Sunday 19 July at 4pm there is a closing party (finissage)
We are really happy that our long time collaborator, Peter Vasil and a work colleague have agreed to help us develop the smartphone version of fortySomething, the locative media project we made in 2007 to mark the 40th anniversary of the steirischer herbst festival in Graz, Austria.
This will make it possible to experience the project again from this Autumn onwards, bringing the city alive with the voices of the people who have lived through some of the most controversial, significant and spectacular art works in public space in the streets of Graz since 1967.
On Thursday 11th December we are taking part in General Public in Exile and Errant Bodies‘ event reality is a very strong move at KW Institute for Contemporary Art (Auguststraße 69, 10117 Berlin). Doors open at 7pm, 3 Euro admission (we are currently scheduled to be the first performance, at 7pm)
We will be performing an extract from our live durational performance Narrating Our Lines, where we set the database of our GPS traces running and use it as a prompt for our memories of where we were and what we were doing.
“Errant Bodies and General Public open the doors for an evening in exile, presenting performances and works that use performance as a term. Chosen kin plays an important role, as do relationships, expanded networks, political action, music, and silent interventions.
How are fractured, individual narratives and biographies related to cultural-geographic histories, and how do they come to play in a collective at large? There is only a fine line between (self)definition and questioning existence as such. You could take it with a smile, but you can just as easily fall apart completely at the confrontation with the foreign that exists inside ourself.
With Gilles Aubry, Fabienne Audeoud, Antonia Baehr, Serge Baghdassarians, Graw Böckler, Chat, Kane Do, Discoteca Flaming Star, Ernesto Estrella, Deli Gleba, Akın Kazuk, Eva Meyer Keller, Käthe Kruse, Edda Kruse-Rosset, Brandon LaBelle, Michael Laurent, Ligna, plan b, Kirsten Reese, Catarina Santos, Heidi Sill, Annette E. Stahmer, Dorothy Valence, Antje Vowinckel, Jeremy Woodruff, and Ella Ziegler.”
We hope to see you there
This month sees a flurry of activity for us with a performance lecture in Mannheim, an artists talk in Plymouth and a workshop in Falmouth.
- Saturday 15 November Stadtgalerie Mannheim from 7pm. A series of performances from some of the artists in the exhibition. With: Igor Štromajer, Volker Hartmann-Langenfelder and plan b.
- Tuesday 18 November 6pm Plymouth Arts Centre. We give an artists talk as part of the last stop on the Walk On tour.
- Wednesday 19 November (not a public event). We run a workshop with GPS and movement with 2nd year Dance & Choreography BA students at Falmouth University
- Friday 3 October sees the latest (and last) opening for the touring exhibition Walk On: From Richard Long to Janet Cardiff – 40 years of Art Walking at the Plymouth City Art Museum (and other venues – check the special site). Unfortunately we can’t be there for the opening, but see below for our talk later in the exhibition run, which continues until 13 December.
- On Wednesday 15 October, Sophia will be taking part in the Festakt as part of the mentoring programme she is on at the Universität der Künste here in Berlin. For details, see the UdK site
- On Thursday 23 October, we will be at the Stadtgalerie Mannheim for the opening of the forthcoming exhibition, Subversive Systeme at 7pm for which we are presenting The Printing of Every Text Message We Sent Each Other Since 2007, made in collaboration with Peter Vasil.
- Saturday 25 October Uferstudios in Wedding, we will be giving a presentation of our work as part of the TAKE US FOR A WALK – (DE‑)SYNCHRONIZING MOVEMENT Workshop and Symposium and then sitting on a panel with Hamish Fulton. See the link above for details of the symposium days and workshops by Katja Münker and Hamish Fulton.
- Tuesday 18 November, Plymouth Arts Centre 6pm to 7.30pm £3 for non-members. We will be giving a talk as part of our involvement in Walk On (see 3 October above) and we hope to see you there.
Scissor is an event series dedicated to presenting contemporary durational and time-based art across all media, organised by Kata Kovács and Tom O’Doherty.
Wednesday, 4th June, 2014, 7pm
Galerie Kungerkiez – Die Nachbarschaftsgalerie
Karl-Kunger-Strasse 15, 12435 Berlin
The work All Our Traces in Berlin 2011 (2012) is currently at the Atkinson in Southport as part of ‘Walk On From Richard Long to Janet Cardiff – 40 years of Art Walking’
The exhibition runs from Saturday 12 April – Saturday 9 August 2014. See the Atkinson website for opening times.